North Winston Baptist Church began as an outreach mission of First Baptist Church of Winston in August of 1893. The small frame building on White Street (later to be called Ivy Avenue), housed several different denominational missions, and North Winston’s Sunday School was one. A member of First Baptist donated a lot on Patterson Avenue to build the Baptist Chapel. It is reported that in November, 1895, the Sunday School group – a little band of faithful teachers and eager pupils – marched, singing hymns as they went from the [old] building to the new building. “Heads were bowed in thanksgiving and voices lifted in praise unto God for His answer to the great need” for a place to meet. People of all ages and denominations and from different parts of the city came at 2:30 on Sunday afternoons to “enjoy the fellowship and inspiration of the Baptist Chapel Bible School.”
Church Organized in 1909
In 1905, the Rev. Fred N. Day had a vision of a great church for North Winston. With the steady growth through the years and with divine guidance came the desire to organize this mission into a Baptist church.
On a bright, beautiful Sunday afternoon, February 21, 1909, North Winston Baptist Church was organized with 37 charter members. They sang hymns, offered prayers, and elected church officers. On March 6, 1909, the Trustees of the First Baptist Church deeded the chapel lot on Patterson Avenue to the Trustees of North Winston Baptist Church and to their successors.
As the congregation outgrew its first building, plans were made for a new location. The new church building on Liberty Street opened on July 27, 1913.
In just a few short years, North Winston realized its need for even larger facilities. This new building, located at the corner of 16th Street and Ivy Avenue, was completed in June of 1925.
Because of concern about the future ministry of North Winston in a rapidly changing community, the church voted in December 1963, to purchase a lot on Petree Road. This move also prompted a change in name, to Northwest Baptist Church. The first service in our present location was held on September 3, 1967.